So it may have been noticed that I haven’t posted in a while, a little more than a month to be exact. Part of that was due to being extremely busy with stuff I need to blog about, but also the fact that I had articles written that needed media uploaded and was being plagued with upload errors. To make it worse, the errors were so generic I had no idea where to start troubleshooting.
With the errors appearing after the 4.1 upgrade to WordPress I thought that maybe the issue but with no one else reporting issues then it would be unlikely. My next thought was folder permissions. My permissions had been set to 705, but that had been working in the past just fine. I adjusted the permissions to 755 and also an attempt with 777 just to check, but still got the same error. During this time I also noticed that it was uploading the main file to the server but not creating thumbnails so that helped in ruling out permissions and thus I went back to the 705.
When checking in WordPress again, I found that it recognized the main image when full size, but with no thumbnails and just a default file icon when displayed otherwise. This made me wonder a bit more, but still without an error to go on would have to do digging. I already knew from past that contacting the host really would not get any results unless I knew exactly what was wrong and requested specifically what I needed to have fixed.
Next logical check, my file system quota. While my host offers a large amount of space, it is by default not assigned to the quota and occasionally a increase might need to be requested. I’ve needed increase in the past for running over the file limit, so ran ‘quota -v’ only to find that I still had plenty of storage space and files remaining to create.
Now, I was really at a loss. I started looking more closely at what I had uploaded in the past. Everything seemed to have been smaller files in general. While the file I wanted to upload was well below the php.ini settings of 8MB at only 2MB and I thought that should be fine. I attempted with another small file and found, however, and it worked. The only thing I can think of is perhaps I am hitting a host memory usage threshold but don’t have a way to easily check that I’m aware of. It would appear however as long as I do not exceed 1500px on image width or height it should work so I can now resume posting.
Glad it works now but I really wish developers would put in more meaningful errors.